Makes about 74 cookies
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 stick butter (4 ounces)
- ½ cup shortening (or use 1 additional stick butter)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, lemon, or orange extract
- 4 ½ cups all- purpose flour
- Colored sprinkles (optional)
Preheat the oven 375°.
Cream together the sugar and butter and/or shortening. Add the milk, eggs, honey, and flavoring. Gradually add in the flour. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill for about 1 hour. Take a small piece of dough (a few tablespoons) and gently push the dough into an ‘’S’’ shape. Repeat until all of the dough has been used.
Next, place the cookies on a sheet pan lined with parchment, about 1 ½ inches apart. Sprinkle lightly with colored sprinkles (optional). Bake for 18 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and let cool before serving.