Makes 4 Servings
- 8 Italian sausages, 2 pounds’ total
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 8 ounces fresh, skinned tomatoes (or one 14-ounce can have chopped tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- one 14-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
Preheat the broiler.
Make holes in the sausages using a fork. Cook the sausage under the broiler for about 10 to 12 minutes or until brown, turning once or twice. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened, but the onion and garlic should not be browned. Add the tomatoes to the pan and simmer while stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture is slightly reduced and thickened. Stir the sun-dried tomato paste, cannellini beans, and Italian sausages into the mixture and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes. If the mixture becomes too dry, add 4 to 5 tablespoons of water. Transfer the mixture to a serving dish and serve immediately.
** Tip**: Peter recommends serving this hearty dish with mashed potatoes or rice.