Makes about 20 cannoli
Cannoli Shell Ingredients:
• Oil for deep frying
• 2 cups cake flour
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• ¼ cup sugar
• 4 ounces lard (1 stick or 8 tablespoons)
• 1 tablespoon rum
• 1 tablespoon honey
• Pinch of salt
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 large egg plus egg wash (2 eggs whisked with 2 tablespoons water)
• 1 pound dry ricotta (impastata), or buy good-quality ricotta, line a strainer with cheese cloth, place the cheese in it, and drain overnight or a full day
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• ¼ teaspoon cinnamon oil or ground cinnamon
• ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
• Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Heat a deep fryer to 320°F
In a mixer, combine all the cannoli shell ingredients except the egg wash, adding enough water (1 to 2 tablespoons cold water) until it reaches a doughlike consistency. The amount of water will vary according to the outside temperature/humidity. Roll the dough to the thickness of pasta (1/4 inch). Using a cannoli cutter (an oval-shaped cookie cutter), cut out the cannoli. Place the cannoli ovals in a row and place a small cannoli rod down the center. Flip the cannoli up and over, sealing the opposite edges where they meet with egg wash and pressing down.
Deep fry them for 3 minutes, until golden brown.
Combine all filling ingredients. Let the cannoli shells cool, then using a large-tip pastry bag, pipe the ricotta mixture into the cannoli.
Serve, sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar.